The work load is also a little different. I usually have readings assigned every for week or for every class at Midd, and graded assignments several times a semester. However, here there are occasionally some recommended readings to do at some point, maybe one essay in the middle of the semester, and then a final exam that's worth anywhere from 50-70% of your final grade. It'll take some getting used to, but I think it will be nice to be able to do work at my own pace. My classes are Microbiology, Antartic Studies: Life in the Cold (New Zealand is one of the centers for Antarctic Studies in the world, and particular Christchurch), Spanish Conversation and Pronunciation, and a class called Science, Maori, and Indigenous Knowledge which is currently a Maori culture class but will become more of a comparison of Maori knowledge and current scientific thought in the second half of the semester.
This is the library. It's absolutely huge, something like 11 stories high, with a big open space underneath it for student events and things. My favorite part, though, is that there's a fountain next to the stairs, which empties into a pool underneath the stairs, and then goes to a waterfall on the other side of the stairs, which empties into another pool that's surrounded by the huge ferns that you see all over here. It's very pretty- I wish the picture did it justice!
Finally, this is the logo for the University of
Canterbury Student Association. They run all sorts of stuff and have a big center with cafes and restaurants and bars in it. It's obviously abbreviated UCSA, so I keep thinking University of California... San Antonio? And then I remember that neither I nor San Antonio is in California...
2 comments:
Nice photos, Emily! But isn't it winter? Where's the snow?
Looks awesome Em! Did you take the photos or from their website?
Post a Comment