Saturday, December 6, 2008

Roadtrip Day 3: A Long Drive

The day after Mt. Cook was mostly just a long drive to Te Anau (which is the red line, the grey lines just show where we had driven on the previous two days).


It was a very pretty drive, lots of mountains and flowers. Mom particularly liked the lupines that we saw everywhere.


Dad was more a fan of the fences, which sounds a little weird, but you have to understand that pretty much everything in NZ is fenced. The pastures, the houses, everything has a fence around it. It's very different from home.


We stopped and had lunch by Lake Wakatipu, which was very pretty :) If you've ever seen the movie "The Waterhorse," I'm told this was the lake they used as Loch Ness. Also, the lake is next to Queenstown, which is the adventure capital of NZ and the place where the first permanent bungee jumping site was built. However, I'm afraid I couldn't quite convince my parents to go... ;-D


This was our first view of Te Anau and Fiordland. Fiordland is the largest national park in New Zealand (I think...) and it is supposed to be one of the most beautiful parts of New Zealand. If you look across the fields in the photo, you'll see Lake Te Anau and beyond that are the mountains of Fiordland. I just wish the picture did the place justice...

No comments: