Sunday, November 16, 2008

An Impressive Birthday Cake

My flatmate Michael had his birthday this week and we celebrated yesterday. Shanna, another of my flatmates, made him the most incredible birthday cake I have ever seen. It's so incredible that it gets it's own blog post. Michael is hugely into poker, so that cake was a poker table, complete with playing cards handmade out of edible icing and a winning hand for Michael. (For the record, I made the poker chips for Shanna to use, mostly just round cookies dipped in icing and too much food coloring, but we had good fun with it :-D)


Michael is the guy on the right (the guy on the left is a friend of his). They were hugely excited about the icing cards.


Adam, another of my flatmates, caught me writing this post, and he wanted to make sure that he got a special mention. He's moving out tomorrow and going back home for the summer, and he postponed moving back home just to celebrate Michael's birthday. He'll be back for classes in the fall something like February, I think. Unfortunately, that's long after I go home to VT, but we might be making a road trip as a flat to go visit him. Kane is also moving out, although he'll just be a few minutes drive away in a different flat. Finally, I think I may have forgotten to mention that I have a new flatmate (well, he's lived here for a while now, I'm just not very good at this blogging thing). His name is Cole, he's cool. He moved in because he's friends with all my flatmates (they're all from Nelson, a smaller city on the north part of the south island).



On a completely different note, my parents are coming to visit! They are currently flying somewhere over the Pacific Ocean and will land in Auckland early this morning before flying into Christchurch. We'll stay here for a couple of days and then rent a campervan (think a cross between a minivan and an RV and then paint it bright orange). We're not really sure what we're doing yet, but rest assured that it will involve lots of fun, too many pictures, and more details in blog form at some later date. Hope everyone is doing well!!!

No comments: